Welcome to the home page of the Scottish Liberal Democrats’ campaign for the Na h-Eileanan an Iar (Western Isles) constituency in the Scottish Parliamentary election, 2021. We are fighting this election throughout Scotland on the basis of Put Recovery First. Neil Mitchison has a Positive Plan for Recovery, led by:
- Confident, world-class innovative industries, including a wind-power based hydrogen economy exporting fuel and energy to power ships, transport, and city energy users, and a spaceport to service commercial satellite launches. Both need a wide range of jobs, including highly skilled and well paid ones.
- Empowering local communities to make decisions affecting their lives and their services. This means reversing the centralisation of jobs and decision-making – which has happened under all Governments – to London, Edinburgh, and even Inverness (HIAL, the Crofting Commision and Bord na Gàidhlig are examples).
- Connectivity: physical with reliable ferries, electronic with ultra-fast rural broadband, electrical with the high-capacity interconnector so badly needed.
- Stopping the exodus of the rising generation by ensuring a wide range of good jobs and affordable housing, boosting education and life-long learning opportunities, and properly resourcing the Crofting Commission to develop crofting for new and young entrants.
- Investment in mental health facilities: recruiting trained staff and training more locally; developing an effective network of mental health first aiders in every organisation, the emergency services and the community.
You will find on this site:
- Some details of our candidate, Neil Mitchison
- The party’s Scottish manifesto
- Posts and videos in Gaelic and English, in which Neil sets out his positions on issues affecting the islands
- Contact points for Neil and the party at national level, with the chance to sign up to support us or to get more information
All of Neil’s posts allow you to offer comments – polite ones, please – and ask further questions.
Na éisdibh cus ris a’ chonnspaid is an trod a tha na partaidhean a’ buileachadh oirbh. Coimheadaibh air na poileasaidhean a tha na partaidhean a’ cur air adhart, agus taghaibh an riochdaire agaibh an réir sin.
In other words… There’s another way of doing politics where you don’t have to do nothing but attack each other. So stay here for some sensible policies and a positive campaign!